Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Beetroot Chapathi / Roti









If I were to equate vegetables to visitors in our house, Beetroot used to be a very rare visitor and also not a preferred one. I’m sure this is the case in most houses. I remember the innovative ideas (other than eating beetroot!!) that I used to come up with to finish off the beetroot soon. I used to mix it with Henna and apply it on my hair so that it would give a beautiful reddish tint.
Now I have figured out some creative recipes with Beetroot and this vegetable has become quite a frequent visitor in our house. One such interesting recipe is Beetroot Chapathi and I learnt this from my friend, Bindu. This has also become a big hit with my son, Pranav and the days I send Beetroot Chapathi in his lunch box, I could bet that the lunchbox would return empty…
Please try this out and I’m sure you would also buy Beetroot regularly…! Beetroot has very high iron content and is very helpful in increasing the haemoglobin levels in our body. It purifies the blood and has anti-carcinogenic properties.
Keep watching my blog for other tasty beetroot recipes like Beetroot Rasam, pachadi etc.



Ingredients
Beetroot – 2
Wheat Flour – 1 ½ to 2 cups
Sugar – 5 tablespoons
Salt – to taste

Procedure
1. Grate the beetroot and cook it in the microwave for 4 mins.
2. Allow it to cool and grind it into a smooth paste adding very little water and sugar.
3. Mix it with the flour and prepare the dough. Keep it aside for 10 mins.
4. Roll as chapathis and toast it on a tava with ghee.
5. Serve the colourful and tasty Beetroot chapathi with Coconut chutney.



Variation
If you do not want the Beetroot chapathis to be too sweet, you could grind green chillies along with the beetroot and avoid sugar.

1 comment:

Sreelakshmi said...

Looks extremely yummy!!Will definitely try out this yum n healthy recipe..looking forward to your other beetroot recipes as well.